Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Can't Take Sarah to Gallifrey





This is a sad day for me, and probably for most nerds/geeks/dorks. I am on a business trip for the day job and was in meetings, conference calls, and other assorted corporate type things for the whole day. After many many hours of the daily grind I pulled out the sacred  iPhone to see the happy news of the day. But the man there said the music wouldn't play.


I have bad news for you, Dear Readers. One of, if not the, best of Doctor Who's companions has passed away.  Elisabeth Sladen was born on February 1st, 1948 and passed away on April 19th, 2011 after battling cancer. Now, I loved Rose Tyler, and I think it's fair to say that her being on the revamped show is probably a big reason for the renewed interest in my beloved Doctor Who. In fact, Mrs. Attack Resistance cried like I've never seen during Rose's final episode, Doomsday.

However, for those of us that grew up watching the Doctor's adventures (oft times super late at night on the local PBS station) instead of jumping in after 30 years, you'll understand my sadness. Sarah Jane Smith was the first of the hot companions (sorry Jo, you'll always have this though...) and she was also the first companion that may or may not have had an illicit affair with the good Doctor.

I know this sounds stupid, but I'm actually kinda torn up over this. Don't judge me.


No comments:

Post a Comment