Monday, April 18, 2011

Bad Ass, Bad Taste



I know I keep promising a Catman review, and I promise that I'll get around to it, but the Black Ninja post put me into a Kung Fu mood and I wanted to continue to explore that. I found a rough in the diamond over the weekend and wanted to share it with you. Before you go thinking this is a positive review, you should re-read that last sentence. Go ahead, re-read it. I'll wait.

Okay, now do you see where I'm going? Good. Now, as you probably guessed by the above picture, this movie stars a fake Bruce Lee (this one spells it Li) not the real, super badass Bruce Lee. So don't get mislead into thinking this is just one of his earlier efforts. That, my friends, is a primrose path. Let's get started.



The first thing I have to say about Soul Brothers of Kung Fu is that the title is horribly misleading. I sat down with the movie expecting Blaxploitation meets the Orient. What I got was two guys from Hong Kong with a hard on for the REAL Bruce Lee, and a token kid that tags along and talks jive and dances the jigs. Pathetic, and in bad taste I feel.

Other than that it wasn't a bad Kung Fu flick, really. There was some decent fighting going on and it didn't suffer from intensive wire work like films of that era began to use so frequently (not that wire work is bad, but c'mon you guys, how about a story or plot to go with that balanced Chi?). At the end I was left with two questions, what the Hell was the opening shot all about, and where can I get a copy of Black Spring Break: THE MOVIE that was previewed at the beginning of the film.

Also, which ending was the alternate/special one? The one where he kills his best friend with his index finger, or the one where he kills Betty from Kung Pow with his index finger? And why hang the black kid? Sure, beat the crap out of him or even kill him by some other means, but hanging? Bad form Chinese guys. Bad form.

Take this movie or leave it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment