Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How To Eat Like A King, But Stay Thin As A Pauper

The other day, an old friend of mine read my post on James Kakalios' excellent book about physics called The Physics Of Superheroes and said to me, "That was the first thing you've liked, isn't it?" That comment set off a chain of thoughts that went (something) like this:

It wasn't the first thing I liked, was it?
No, I liked Fallout 3.
You did say it was derivative, though.
It's a reboot of a ten year old series, of course it's derivative!
Hey man, I'm just sayin' is all...
I like pizza.

So, in the interest of not being such a Negative Nellie, I thought I would post another, more obviously positive review. This one is for The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook - Concise Edition.

This cookbook was given to me by a friend a number of years ago (which could literally mean anytime between right now, and July of 1979) and I have loved the recipes inside. You see, this is the kind of healthy eating cookbook that the world needs right now. The food is healthy, but uncannily delicious. You may find this hard to believe Dear Reader dear reader but I am, in a word, flabby. No, no, it's true. The guy who has time to write a blog about bad super hero movies, crappy soft drinks, and links to dozens of odd references across the Internet doesn't get to the gym as often as he should. With this cook book I can at least eat well without adding to my expanding waistline.

Inside you will find not just recipes (of which there are 50), but also helpful tips and ideas for eating well, without sacrificing good food. For instance, did you know that there are other types of seasoning out there besides salt? I know! I'm not just talking about seasoned salt either, there's literally hundreds of spices, herbs, and assorted bits out there that can take your healthy meal to the next level. Included with each recipe is a serving meter of how many servings of, say, vegetables are in the recipe you're making and how many it is recommended by anti-fat doctors that you should have. Also included in each recipe are per serving counts of calories, protein, carbs, fat (broken dowm into three categories: total fat, saturated fat, and monounsaturated fat), cholesterol, sodium, and fiber. It's like the side of a damn cereal box! I love it!

Thankfully, the book also includes a glossary so that food luddites like myself can finally know what buckwheat groats are (hint: it has nothing to do with The Little Rascals), why saffron costs so much and why, despite the name, wheat germ will not make you sick. Anyone looking to expand their food horizons while shrinking their pants size should give this book a try. Anyone looking to eat healthier than they currently are, no matter their current weight to height ratio should give this book a try. Anyone who thinks that fast food is a healthy way to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner should get to a hospital, you're having a heart attack.


No comments:

Post a Comment